Friday, December 18, 2009

Great Rims for your Martini Glasses

I have had a bunch of people ask me about rimming... *giggles*

A Martini Glass filled with a stiff drink is great, but a fancy martini glass rimmed with something flavourful and fancy is better.

We all know Margarita's are often rimmed with Salt... though I prefer mine with sugar (except lime / traditional Marg's get salt... the other sweet flavours I use sugar) but in recent years rimming martini glasses has become quite the trend and I wanted to share with you some of my favourite rims and some tips on doing it correctly.


The easiest way is this:

  • Two side plates.
  • One with liquid (juice for example), One with powder (salt, sugar, etc.)
  • Dip glass rim into liquid, then into powder.

    You can also use a lemon or lime wedge to rub along rim and then dip into the powder of your choice, but usually that doesn't moisten the rim enough *giggles* to pick up enough flavoured powder.

    It's very simple to do, if you are feeling uneasy you can always buy a kit but try the two plates first....



    Now, which liquids and powders you use is your decision, here are some recommendations:

  • Fruit Juice - I often use this for my liquid rim before dipping it in powder. Pick a flavour that matches or enhances your martini flavour.

  • Salt - Salt is quite traditional and easy to use. It works well with anything citrus. I generally only use it with Lime Margarita's.

  • Sugar - is my favourite powdered rim because it is sweet and easy to use. Like salt, you can colour or flavour it how you would like [See Below]

  • Chocolate - You can use syrup as your liquid rim or to draw fancy designs on the inside of your glass. You can also use chocolate flakes or powder for your rim.



  • Honey - It is a thicker liquid rim but sticky and sweet so it works really well. I like to use honey alone or with a powdered rim. I always chill the glass after preparation so the honey doesn't melt and drip creating a mess. This is especially good for using heavier powdered rims as it holds them to the glass better (such as our next one....)

  • Candy - I like to crush mints or candycanes very finely and use that as a festive and minty fresh rim. I suggest using honey as your liquid to ensure the candy stays put. Also chill the rimmed glasses so the honey hardens a bit and you don't have a huge mess.


    This list goes on, but this should be a good start.

    Be Creative, Try new things, that's what I did and still do... it's amazing how many interesting things you can come up with.

    If you have specific suggestions or questions let me know in the comment section and I can reply.

    There are also great martini/cocktail rimmers you can buy (flavoured powders) but save some money and try homemade flavouring and colouring....



    Colouring and Flavouring Sugar (or Salt)

  • Put powdered sugar or salt into a bowl or bag.
  • Add a few drops of colouring or flavour (food colouring or food flavouring such as vanilla or any extract you choose)
  • Mix Well.
  • Add colour or flavour to your liking, stirring as you go.
  • Allow to dry.

    Have fun mixing and matching various rims.... it is a great addition to any martini along with garnish and the wonderful alcohol inside the glass.

    Cheers!
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment